Saturday, July 16, 2011

Begging Babies

Chatty birds such as apostlebirds don’t just become chatty at a particular age, here in this video (below) you can see three hungry nestlings begging for food. Of course, begging like this is nothing new for birds, but what is cool is that I can sit here and watch them go back and forth and feed their young. If I give them bread, they will go back and forth between me and the nest feeding the bread young. But, this is not something I normally something I do as I prefer them to go about their natural birdy business.

Once while I was sat reclining in the long grass, with my neck craned up to pear high into the branches of the tallest nest, I noticed that the usual fare being brought to the nestlings seemed to be changing. The adults at first had been bringing food gifts of grasshoppers, flies and other various black legs cramming out of their beaks, and suddenly it changed to …. White fluff? What? It looked soft going in, and then it occurred to me that it might me bread. Not my bread, mind you, but that of my supervisor, who had made his way down the creek towards where I was working. Kinda funny because I had heard no alarm calls earlier, but with these birds, we are not considered a threat. Even an over 6 foot tall man, or a smaller unassuming female with a long long nest pole and recording equipment.


No comments:

Post a Comment